Saturday, February 4, 2012

Reflecting in San Diego...

Hola!
   So this Monday is a holiday in Mexico. Having nothing to do for the weekend but sit around, I decided to take a little trip to San Diego for a few days. Easier said than done. Crossing the border took three hours this morning, standing in line in the sun. Then a half hour train ride, a twenty minute wait for the wrong bus (10 min. ride) a ten minute wait for the right bus (5 minute ride, could have gotten to it from the train). Finally got to my hostel and took a walk to the beach (1.5 miles) and back. So here I am trying to stream last week's Glee (and failing) and trying to process the last week!

  I'm hoping that I will faithfully post daily from now on, though I doubt I will. It's very easy to have a full day, Skype with family at home, and then go to bed. Got to make some good habits and start posting everyday!

  So... Thursday I believe. Eduardo, Roberto, Victor, Rigo and I went to Tecate to plan a trip for a group from San Diego state that doesn't want to go to Tijuana at all, and only wants to work two days (well, one day for each 1/2 of the group). So we set off. Five of us in a crew cab Ranger (with the fold down seats in the back). Nice and cozy.

  First we met with the leader of another organization, Corazon, that builds wood houses at no cost of families. The group will be pouring floors with us for Corazon houses in Tecate. After visiting these worksites we went to visit the Ojai (Oh-HI) Ranch where they will be staying for ten days! It's very nice, it has a swimming pool,  peacocks, and a mini golf course. They will also be visiting the Tecate brewery (which we visited, they give one free sample daily to visitors of their Beer Garden). We also visited an orphanage where they will be visiting to schedule their visit as well.

Tecate is a nice little town, if you ever feel like visiting Tijuana area and aren't volunteering (silly you) Tecate would be a very nice place to stop! Check out the Brewery for a free beer! I hear they also have some nice wineries nearby as well.

It was interesting to see an area of Tijuana/Mexico that I haven't seen before. I'm slowly starting to learn the main roads and how to get places I will need to take groups (key word, slowly).

I'm also learning some Spanish words....
(Spelled phonetically because I don't know how they are really spelled..)
Madera- Wood (MaD-era)
Carratia- Wheel Barrel (CAR- a- tia)
Quantes- Gloves
Piensas- Pliers (PEEN-sas) .... I could be off on the pronuciation...
Parensas- Clamp (Pair-en-sas)
Lona- Tarp
Andomio- Scaffolding (on-dom-io)
Pala- Shovel
Malla- Fence (my-ya)
Rolvervadora- Mixer
Mescladora- Other cement mixer (for blocks)
cemento- cement
Escoba- Broom
Mopiador- Mop
Subir- To climb

.... Of course I'm going to have to double check all of these, because I "learned" them yesterday I'm sure I'm off on a few of them...

Thinking about going to bed now so I can explore tomorrow! But first....

Some photos...
Where one of the floors will be poured in Tecate

Wood house built by Corazon, in Tecate.


Near where the groups will be working in Tecate

Ranch Ojai, where the San Diego State group will be staying.


VERY important word to know when you are learning Spanish... SLOW DOWN!

The red you see is the end of the wall. This is standing at the orphanage in Tecate the group will be visiting, looking into the mountains at where the wall stops.

Hasta Luego Amigos 
Vaya con Dios

No comments:

Post a Comment