Friday, March 1, 2013

Headed out Tomorrow!

Hello all!
  I am headed to San Diego tomorrow, I will be staying in San Diego for a day or two then taking a train to the border at San Ysidro and walking across the border to meet a friend in Tijuana. I will post while I am in San Diego, and continue posting through my trip in Tijuana.

For the last 9 years I have been traveling to Tijuana, Mexico for a week each winter to work alongside local families to build homes with a wonderful organization, Esperanza International. Last year I was lucky enough to spend three months in Tijuana as a long term volunteer. I have never had a more life changing or inspiring experience. I am so excited to be heading back down! I will be staying until March 16th. On March 9th a joint group between the church I grew up in and The College of Wooster will be joining me. Group members will be posting daily I will link to their blog, it is nice to see different people's perspectives!




In college I started the joint trip between Trinity and The College of Wooster, if you are interested in starting your own trip please e-mail me at Rena.Starr@Esperanzaint.org and I will help you get started! If you are reading this as a member of UUAA please e-mail me if you are interested in coming on the trip next year, I will be starting the planning process very soon!

It is important to give back to your community and I do volunteer locally. This trip is always a nice step away from home, a good chance to take myself out of my comfort zone, out of my own "troubles" and get a perspective on the rest of the world and different ways of living, and hit reboot. I get as much out of this trip as I give, sometimes I feel a little selfish. It is always a reminder of the important things in life; friends, family, and community. I also see it as a reminder that in a cruel world there are still good things. The people I meet have very little materially but have so much warmth, love, and kindness. They are rich in the things that many people with so much more materially are completely bankrupt in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment