Monday, March 4, 2013

Mexico Days 1 & 2

Day 1

I arrived in Tijuana yesterday afternoon, a little later than expected. They have moved where you walk across into Tijuana, so if you are crossing it is actually much easier. You get of the trolley and the border crossing is right there. I unfortunately was unaware of the change so I walked all the way across the bridge, pictured below.


Then I walked all the way back crossed, and walked over a different bridge to where I met Alex, who was a long term volunteer with me, and his girlfriend Giselle. We stopped at The Posada to drop off my things and headed out for delicious fish/shrimp tacos, I may or may not have eaten five. My diet is out the window this week I am going to eat as much delicious Mexican food as I can get my hands on! I have missed it so much!! Mexican food in Michigan just isn't the same! Especially the seafood!

So after our yummy tacos we came back to the Posada and headed to the beach at Rosarita with the group. They did some shopping while Alex, Giselle, and I relaxed at the beach and fresh margaritas!

Day 2

Today we worked in Lomas de San Anton (I think) on a site that already has one Esperanza house. The house we are building now is for the daughter and her family. The house has beautiful flowers and is very nice. Today we moved a giant pile of dirt and got all of the blocks into the center of what will be the floor of the house to prepare to build and pour the walls over the next few days.
 To build the beams for the room we first cut thick wire then straighten it.
 Next the wire is bent into squares, then tied to rebar to make beams.
 The guys eating lunch. The blocks are stacked and ready to build walls.
 Beautiful flowers on the site.
 Yummy lunch, Chicken, beans, and rice.
Throughout the day we leveled out the entire area to the left of the house, it was a dirt hill with aloe and other indigenous plants growing on it.


This evening while we waited for the group, who was at Casa Migrante, we had a bite to eat and saw the Brazil soccer team practicing for their game Wednesday night against Tijuana's team (Los Xolos). This is the first time a team from Brazil has come to Tijuana.



No comments:

Post a Comment